1. I just read Bennett Sims’s beautiful new novel, A Questionable Shape. It deals with the undead, relationships, and the private chaos that follows public chaos.
2. I’ve been reading, for months, Roland Barthes’s A Lover’s Discourse. I’m reading the sections out of order. It’s got me thinking about the telephone and form and desire.
3. My friend Miguel bought me a copy of the epistolary novella Lady Susan by Jane Austen, which I’ve just started. Lady Susan, evidently, is a beautiful and cunning seductress.
4. I’m rereading Nadja by André Breton, a book I love, and a study in narcissism, idealization, and obsession, a few of the subjects that interest me most.
5. I’m slowly reading Gustave Flaubert’s Sentimental Education, also a study in all of the above.
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.